Monday, July 25, 2005

I love kids.

Today was my first day as a leader at daycamp and the experience was nothing short of awesome. I received my official daycamp name (you can now call me Cheerio), my fair share of indian rug burns and cuts and bruises but it was all worthwhile. Today I was the co-leader of one of the middler groups (grades 4-6ish) with Rio (yet another awesome camp name). There were ten kids in our group and we rocked (team of the day!! wooohoo). Today was beach day and each team was given the task to make a sandcastle. What we thought would be an easy task turned into a disaster. The kids on our team were more interested in gathering huge rocks for our sandcastle than actually building the castle. So there we were with just 30min left and all we had was a heap of rocks getting bigger by the minute. Rio and I soon realized that we were pretty much going to have to build this castle on our own. We tried giving each kid a particular job to do...so they'd start it but soon get distracted and decide we still didn't have enough rocks...so back into the water they'd go in search of more rocks. Needless to say Rio and I pretty much built the entire castle ourselves and to no suprise....we didn't win the contest. I'm sure the kids had a blast anyhow but it made me think of how I am like those kids in many ways. I am given a job from God to witness to friends, serve others...ect but there I am saying 'I don't have enough rocks God'. So off I go doing what I think is the right thing rather than listening to God and doing as he says...and needless to say...I fail.

2 Comments:

Blogger NathanColquhoun said...

Clever Naomi, i love it.

I am going to be honest, i love this blog a hundred times more than the live journal one, you're all smart and stuff on this one.

Day Camp rocks, the directors and core staff that run it really are doing an awesome job, and it excites me that you loved it too. Keep it up and keep the lessons coming from the kids, we have so much to learn from them, cause we need to be just like them to experience the Kingdom of God.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello suga! i am glad you love daycamp!! i loved it all the years i did it! makes me rather wish i had the time to this summer. stupid jobs lol. anyways i think it's awesome that you are helpin at daycamp it's an experience beyond all others. all the kids there are just amazing and all they need is a little love which is exactly what we are there for. keep teaching the kids by your loving example and they will see God through you. and they will teach you so much that you could never have learned without seeing it through a child's innocent eye.
love ya darlin!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home