Saturday, July 23, 2005

Foot Washing @ 4am

My parents decided a while back that we were going to rent out the room upstairs next to mine to a college student for a little extra cash. So they put an ad in the paper and soon enough Becky moved in. She was the perfect border. She was a Christian, super friendly, quiet and got a long with my entire family. She lived here for about half a year (give or take a few months) until she found another place closer to the school with a friend of hers. So again my parents put another ad into the paper. After a few weeks my dad found someone new to move in. Moving day came and to my suprise this wasn't a college student at all. In fact my new across the hall roomate was an older lady (say mid 40's) from pakistan. Oh yeah you heard me right.....not only is she not young, she's from pakistan which means...I am going to have to smell her spicy food all day long. So it's been a while since she's moved into my upstairs and I guess I'm growing to be more tolerant of the whole idea. I've gotten used to the smell of her food and have had to adjust to her always being in the shower when I need it. Overall she's such a sweet lady. She's a doctor from pakistan who isn't allowed to practice here so she is stuck working a job paying barely minimum wage just to make ends meet until she's allowed to move to the states to be with her family. Now I'm gonna get to the point of this blog...just wanted to give a little backround to the story. My new roommate is muslim. I knew nothing of the muslim religion until she moved in. Her and my dad have some really great talks abouth God and their views on things. I recently learned that muslims have to wash their feet 7 times a day (this explains her ALWAYS being in the bathroom!). Lately I've been having trouble sleeping so I'm up till about 4 or 5 am every single night and every single night I've been awake that late I hear her go into the bathroom and the tub begins to run and she's in there washing her feet. Talk about dedication. Imagine washing your feet 7 times a day! That's 49 times a week, 2548 times a year!! It really makes me think about my own life as a Christian. If I had half as much dedication as she does I would be able to accomplish great things...but here I am having trouble making it to church every sunday morning. I really respect my roomie for her dedication to her religion even if I don't agree with her views. She's really helping me to grow in my own walk with God and teaching me the meaning of dedication.

4 Comments:

Blogger NathanColquhoun said...

i love it.

one thing to think about though, is i wonder why she does it? is it cause she loves who she's serving or is it out of fear of punishment. It's useless if it isn't out of love ( 1 cor 13).

Either way though, it should be like you said a motivation for us all to get off our asses and do something for who we serve.

10:38 PM  
Blogger naomi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:32 PM  
Blogger naomi said...

i was looking at an interesting comparison between christianity and islam (http://www.carm.org/islam/grid.htm) and if you look under what they beleive hell is, it's pretty intersting. hell is a place where non-muslim people go and also those who were muslim but works and faith were not sufficient to get into 'paradise' as they call it. so you tell me. is she doing it out of love or fear?

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kevin says.
billy likes soda

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home